In this tutorial I will show you how to install KDE SC 4.5 in Ubuntu 10.04.The KDE Development Platform 4.5.0 comes with improved performance and stability, WebKit integration, and high-speed cache through KSharedDataCache, a memory-mapped caching mechanism. Also, the Phonon Multimedia libraries are now able to use PulseAudio.
1. Goto System –> Administration –> Software Sources.
2. A Software Sources window will appear. Click on the second tab, “Third-Party Software,” then click the “Add” button and paste the following code,
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/backports/ubuntu lucid main
3. Click on the “Add Source” button.
4. Now go to the third tab, “Updates,” and check the “Unsupported updates (lucid-backports)” option.
5. Right click HERE and choose the “Save Link As” option.
6. Go to “Authentication,” click the “Import Key File” button.Browse and set the saved file.You will see a new entry called “8AC93F7A 2009-05-07 Launchpad Kubuntu Updates”.
7. Then click on the “Close” button of the main window. Click the “Reload” button and wait for the Software Sources window to close.
8. Now Click here to Install KDE SC 4.5
9. If you use Firefox, it will ask you with what you want to open the apt link. Choose the first option, apturl and make sure you also check the “Remember my choice for apt links” .Click OK.
10. Click the “Install” button on the new window, to install the Kubuntu-desktop packages.The KDE SC 4.5 packages to be downloaded.
11. After that choose a display manager (GDM or KDM). Click on the “Forward” button if you want to keep Ubuntu’s login screen (GDM), or select the KDM entry from the drop-down list to install KDE4’s login screen.
12. The installation will start.When the installation is over restart the computer.
That’s it have fun with KDE desktop 😉