Here is a simple to trick to create Hidden folders in Mac OS X without using any 3rd party software. Creating hidden folders in Windows is very easy thing. But there are no hidden folder options in Mac on right click. So, there is a trick to make a folder hidden or visible using Terminal.
Steps to Create Hidden Folder in Mac OS X
1. Goto Utilities–>Terminal to launch Terminal.
You can use Spotlight(Command Key+Space Bar) and type Terminal.
2. Change to the directory where the new folder should be, for example, Desktop
3. Make the new hidden directory, prefixing the name with a period. In Mac OS X, folders with a period at the start of their name are invisible. Note: “Geekyard” is the folder name.
4. Alternatively, you can make an existing folder invisible.
mv “Geekyard” “.Geekyard”
How to Show Hidden Files?
The next question that will strike your mind is how to view the hidden files? Just follow the below steps,
1. Open Terminal and change to the directory that the folder is in (as above)
2. Remove the period from the folder name
mv “.Geekyard” “Geekyard”
That’s it 🙂 Play some tricks with Mac Terminal 😉