In this article I will show you how to change the default username of a WordPress blog. When you Login to WordPress Dashboard and navigate to User accounts. In the user profile you will find that the default WordPress login username cannot be changed as shown in the screenshot below,
So how to change the default admin / any default login username ? Its very much simple by editing the MySQL database. Here I have taken my friend Balaji – Geekyard Guest Blogger account as an example. 🙂
Why Changing default admin username login is so important?
By default, WordPress installations use the admin username. With admin account WordPress back-end can be accessed easily and can be modified. What cannot be done with Admin account? Everything is possible. So, please be extra careful in handling WordPress blog. 🙂 Since this is well known, it can become a security vulnerability. A hacker can easily perform a brute force attack on the account to retrieve the WordPress admin login password.
Changing admin default username provides more security for your WordPress installation by making the administrative login username harder to guess and modify.
Geekyard Got Hacked 2 Times
Believe it or not Geekyard got hacked 2 times and I fixed it. You will realize the seriousness of WordPress blog only when you face security breech. I am sharing my personal experience which I faced. So, please be extra careful and stay protected as much as possible and create database backups at regular intervals 🙂
How to change the default admin / username WordPress login name:
- Login to your website Cpanel.
- Goto MySQL Database (I.e. phpmyadmin), locate and select your WordPress database.
- Locate and select the wp_users table (Note: the wp prefix may differ).
- Locate admin / any other username and click the edit icon.
- Under the user_login column, change admin / any username to your preferred WordPress administrative login name and then click Go. In the below screenshot I have shown how I changed default username of Balajie.
That’s it 🙂 The default username is changed. Its very easy isn’t it? 😉