Today I updated WordPress from version 4.6.1 to 4.7 and when it was half way through I got the following error,
The Browser URL redirected to
After this I was unable to Login into WordPress dashboard. Whenever I try to load http://techpraveen.com/wp-admin/ the browser redirects to http://techpraveen.com/wp-admin/upgrade.php?_wp_http_referer=%2Fwp-admin%2F.
No doubt WordPress is the best blogging platform. But WordPress errors during upgradation is unavoidable. Personally I prefer using Genesis Framework for WordPress.
Why this error occurs?
This error happens because there is a mismatch between $wp_version and $wp_db_version.
Version 4.6.1 – Database Version “37965”
Version 4.7 – Database Version “38590”
In my case during WordPress update the wp-includes/version.php is with 4.7 and the MyPHPAdmin database is with version “37965” (Note: This is database version of 4.6.1). Due to mismatch between the version the redirect error occurs.
[FIX]Unable to Access Admin Panel After WordPress Upgrade
Now, let’s see two different solutions to get rid off upgrade.php?_wp_http_referer=%2Fwp–admin%2F issue.
I used this method and it fixed my issue.As explained earlier the reason behind this redirect issue is due to mismatch between $wp_version and $wp_db_version.
- Goto WordPress.org Archive page.
- Download the WordPress version Zip file.
- In my case I tried to update 4.7 from 4.6.1 and got struck. So, I downloaded the existing WordPress installation files i.e. WP Version 4.6.1.
- Now extract the WordPress Installation Zip file.
- Navigate to wp-includes/version.php
- Log on to FTP account and navigate to wp-includes/version.php
- Now replace the version.php to fix this issue as shown in below screenshot.
Just download the WordPress installation zip file and upload upgrade.php file present in wp-admin folder to your wp-admin folder using FTP. Then open a web browser and go directly to that page. It should open up the page to upgrade your database.
I hope with this article you will be able to fix the URL redirect issue and able to access admin panel or WordPress dashboard.